Have you ever wondered how your colleagues in the hotel industry recognize and earn loyalty from guests? We asked our clients to share some of the initiatives they have in place. Below is a selection of their responses to the question – ‘How do you build guest loyalty at your property/brand?’
There were two main camps (although we are pretty sure they all employ a bit of both) – the camp that encouraged loyalty by prioritizing guest in-stay and personal needs, and the camp that employed a formal loyalty program with all it’s associated perks and points.
Meeting guests’ in-stay needs
• “Engaging in one-on-one conversations to collect as much feedback as possible, tackling issues straight away, understanding guests’ needs and building long lasting relationships.” Jacopo Mola, Jurys Inn Hotel Group, United Kingdom
• “Hard Rock Rewards; responding to every online guest comment; striving for “85% manager interaction while the guest is still in the building.” Greg Stewart, Hard Rock International, USA
• “We always take good quality service to another level. We treat our guests as friends (without compromising professionalism), and this is really our brand trademark; what makes the difference.” Micaela Gonzalez, Room Mate Hotels, Madrid
• “We do everything possible to build guest loyalty, from authentic luxury through to indigenous local expertise.” Geeth Wijerathna, Anantara Hotels, Sri Lanka
• “Personalized attention; we celebrate the birthdays and anniversaries of our guests; we anticipate their requirements; we discover their tastes and preferences; we are always one step ahead of their needs and requirements.” Carlos Pérez, Pestana Hotels, Venezuela
• “We try to encourage guests to give us feedback regarding their stay. We send out a post-stay survey with ReviewPro and we get many responses. We don’t just read the survey answers, we take immediate action through ReviewPro’s Case system. In addition, we respond within a day with a personalized answer. If guests give extensive feedback, we follow up with a personal e-mail asking for more suggestions and feedback, so they feel we listen to them and value their ideas and feedback.” Martijn Zengerink, Amari Hotels, Thailand
• Library Hotel Collection ensures that it concentrates on allowing staff the freedom to be spontaneous and create lasting memories for clients. “Every single person on the team has to know how they contribute to that wonderful guest experience,” says Adele Gutman, Vice President Sales, Marketing,& Revenue.
Employing guest membership programs
• “We have the Barcelo Rewards Program and we are using the ReviewPro survey to listen to our guest needs.” José Luis Serratos, Barcelo Hotels, Mexico
• “Radisson Rewards provides members with an enhanced experience from the time of booking to checkout and every moment in between. In addition to enjoying Member Only Rates, members have access to exclusive benefits and earn [points] towards free nights.” Michael Ramos, Radisson Hotel Group, Belgium
• “Implemented a service culture to enhance guest service further and launched a loyalty program.” Mary Tejero, Emaar Hospitality Group, United Arab Emirates
Plenty of great takeaways there, and if you would like to delve deeper into hotel guest loyalty, download our guide.